I just graduated from college and finally, I have my own apartment in a Cebu City, Philippines. I am enjoying my single life living in the city. I was so excited that I can go home whenever I want, I can go out wherenever I want to, and I can eat anything fancy…
Uhm, wait, a small part of this is true. Let me rephrase that : I can eat the food that I like after I get my paycheck, but after two days, when my paycheck’s gone, I am back to eating slice Ramen, slice bread and Pandesal. This was my life because I did not know how to cook then. And my apartment did not have a fridge;so I usually buy food that have long shelf life Ramen, for example. And besides, I do not want to spend my measly amount of money wading through the city’s ridiculous traffic, parched under the Philippine heat. I was pretty much resigned to the fact I am meant to eat Ramen and pandesal all my young life…
Until I learned how to make this sauce. Back then, this sauce pretty much went with everything I get to put my hands on. It goes with my slice bread, my pandesal, it goes with the rice and sometimes, I eat it by itself. It never occured to me that this sauce should go with Pasta…Me and my young naive self.
I learned to make this sauce from my mom; but as time went by, I put my flare in it. I ADDED A LOT OF VEGETABLES IN IT , so that my kids and husband will have their fill of vegetables. It is sad that I have to sneak in vegetables for them to get their nutrients, but this is the only way, I can make them eat healthy.
SO I combined my mom’s recipe with the Spaghetti Sauce recipe from hospital I worked before. Its cafeteria was vegan and their sauce consist of various vegetables. That recipe was sooo delicious! You’ll have no inkling feeling of missing the meat.But for this recipe, I added lean ground beef to accommodate my family’s palate and I made it a little sweeter to adhere to my Filipino taste buds. I make a huge batch and separate it in a container according to what menu it will be used for, and then FREEZE IT .
Pretty much this my “GO TO ” Spaghetti recipe that I have used it when I prepare Spaghetti or any Pasta. Just like any other food in the blog, it is very delicious and easy. This sauce has rich flavor and healthy. ENJOY You’ll have no inkling feeling of missing the meat. IT, WILL YOU?
SNEAKY SPAGHETTI SAUCE – SAUCE LOADED WITH VEGGIES
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 pieces 4 inches long carrots finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 large pepper finely chopped
- 1 bulb garlic finely chopped
- 2 cans 1 lb Garlic Herb Pasta Sauce
- 2 dried bay leaves optional
- 4 tablespoon pack brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon Canola cooking oil
- Heat cooking oil in a large sauce pan.Add in and brown the lean and drain a small amount of excess oil. Add the garlic,onion and cook until the onion is transparent and add in the bell pepper and carrots. Cook for another 3 minutes and pour the Garlic Herb Pasta sauce.Add in bay leaves andLet the sauce simmer for another 10 minutes. You can use the sauce immediately or place in a container and then freeze for future use. ENJOY!