Carne Asada Fries have carbs, protein, and fiber in one delicious dish! It has lots of textures, too, contributing to an overall appealing appetizer!
Carne Asada Fries could be a great main dish, too. Especially in my family, this side dish gets finished in seconds. We so love this that I made my homemade version.
Here in Bend, there is a restaurant that serves a sumptuous serving of this Mexican-inspired favorite. And we like it so much as a family that we would usually go there to feast.
But I had to admit that it is not sustainable. So, I had to make do with that I have at home to recreate this family favorite. And luckily, you won’t need fancy ingredients to create this appetizer.
And once you perfect this recipe, you are well on your way to host game days and movie nights with this on the table. Share it with friends and family. This dish is perfect for a crowd!
Are Carne Asada Fries Mexican?
While the Carne Asada is of Mexican descent, this specific entree is not Mexican in origin. This originated in San Diego, California where the influence of Mexican cuisine led to the invention of this dish.
It is like a twist to the classic French fries and nachos. The layer of fries is topped with bits and pieces of Carne Asada, cheese, guacamole, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
What cut of meat is Carne Asada?
For this recipe, I use flank steak. It is lean and meaty. You can also use skirt steak if you want but know that it is a bit tougher.
These are affordable cuts of meat that you can easily buy. But if you want something fancier, a ribeye steak will certainly elevate your dish!
How do you make Carne Asada Fries?
- Bake the potatoes: Cut the spuds in wedges. Toss them in oil and seasonings. Bake them in a lined baking pan in a preheated oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. This will take roughly half an hour until the pieces turn golden brown.
- Prepare the guacamole: Coarsely mash the avocado and season it with the rest of the guacamole ingredients. Then, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the meat: Prepare the marinade by mixing the spices, herbs, and juices in a bowl. Coat the flank steak with the mixture. Place the whole thing in plastic wrap and marinate for a few hours or overnight. Then, in a heated pan with canola oil, sear the marinated meat on both sides. Once it changes color, remove it from the pan and allow it to sit before slicing.
- Assemble and broil: Get a large plate and cover it with the fries. Put a layer of the cooked meat slices and cheese. Broil the top until the cheese melts, then, garnish with the rest of the ingredients before serving.
How do you reheat Carne Asada Fries?
You can reheat this dish in the microwave oven for 30 seconds each time until everything is heated through. Or, put it in the oven and briefly heat at the same temperature that you cooked it with.
What to serve with it?
Serve it with other Mexican-inspired dishes like beans, Pico de Gallo, and tacos. Or, some hearty salads and mains!
You can even eat it as it is because it is a complete meal on its own. You get carbs from the spuds, protein from the meat, and the avocado and veggies offer fiber.
- When using store-bought fries, just follow the instructions on the packaging to cook.
- Do not forget to let the meat rest for a few minutes before slicing. This way, you give time for the juices to redistribute to keep the meat moist and tender. Skipping this step will just let the juices run, leaving slightly drier pieces of meat.
- Feel free to put more or swap ingredients like cotija cheese for pepper jack. Add jalapenos if you want more heat.
- 1 bag French Fries store bought
OR MAKE YOUR OWN FRENCH FRIES:
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
CARNE ASADA RECIPE:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 lb flank steak
- Mexican cheese pepper jack (cheese of your choice)
- sour cream
- guacamole store bought or homemade
GUACAMOLE INGREDIENT: RECIPE:
- 2 avocados pitted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic 2-4 cloves
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 plum tomato diced
COOKING THE FRENCH FRIES:
- Pre heat oven at 450 F.Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the potatoes into thin wedges and put in a bowl.
- Add salt, paprika, garlic powder and olive oil and gently mix to coat spices potatoes. Place potatoes into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 30 or more minutes or, until the potatoes are golden brown.
WHEN USING A STORE BOUGHT FRENCH FRIES:
- Cook fries according to the packet instruction.
- In the medium sized bowl, mash the avocado using a fork, leaving some chunky pieces.
- Add in tomatoes, garlic,cilantro,onion .
- Mix in lime juice and stir gently.
- Season with the salt and pepper according to your liking.
PREPARE THE CARNE ASADA MARINADE:
- Place flank steak into a flat dish.
- In a small sized bowl add in salt,pepper,chili powder,dried oregano,minced garlic,cilantro,orange juice and lime juice. Mix until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into the steak and coat the steak with the marinade by turning the meat on the other side.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight of a few hours before cooking.
HOW TO COOK CARNE ASADA:
- Heat cast iron skillet with canola oil over medium heat.
- Add in prepared meat and cook until it changes color, about 3 - 5 minutes on both sides.
- Remove meat from pan and let the meat sit for 10 more minutes before slicing.
ASSEMBLING CARNE ASADA FRIES:
- To assemble Carne Asada fries, line the baked french fries in large plate.
- Top the sliced carne asada and put the cheese on top. I used 1/2 cup of cheese. You can add more if you like. You can broil the cheese until its melted, but you can skip this process.
- Top with sour cream, guacamole, diced tomatoes,onion and cilantro before serving.