This Filipino Mango Float Cake is a Filipino version of ice box cake. It’s a famous dessert to bring in potluck parties. Replace the mango with different fruits like peach, strawberry and you are good to go.
Hello, guys! Today, I am sharing with you this Filipino version of ice box cake : FILIPINO MANGO FLOAT CAKE. What I love about this cake, is that it too simple to make and it is very delicious and refreshing specially when you are eating it in the blazing heat of summer. In the Philippines, we don’t eat this cake only in the summer, but it is made and serve year round in parties.
If you attend a Filipino party, chances are, you’ll see this cake in different sizes. But in my household, I made this a week ago, just because this mango float cake is my favorite. I just love its sweetness and simpleness. And I happened, finally, to find mango in Costco.
This is also called Refrigerator Cake and with that, you can substitute various filling in it, if the mango is not available.
REFRIGERATOR CAKE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTE:
All purpose cream
Heavy Whipping cream
GRAHAM CRACKER SUBSTITUTE FOR REFRIGERATOR CAKE:
HOW DO YOU SLICE MANGO FOR MANGO FLOAT?
There is no rule on what shape or size you are going to slice your mango, but I usually slice the mango in half and slice it from top to bottom making a thin slice of the mango.
You can also slice the mango in cubes or in strips.
HOW LONG TO STORE MANGO FLOAT IN THE FRIDGE?
In this post, I made a huge batch, so it lasted 1 week. As long as you refrigerate it, mango float will do well longer.
FILIPINO MANGO FLOAT CAKE ( FILIPINO STYLE ICE BOX CAKE)
- 8 pieces mango
- 1 box graham crackers
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Peel the ripe mango and slice into half. Cut the mango lengthwise and set aside.
- Place 1 cup of whipping in the large bowl. Using a hand mixer or s stand mixer, mix the cream until soft peaks - the idea is to double the size of the whip cream.
- When the whip cream has doubled, add in 1 cup of condense milk and mix until incorporated. You can add more condensed milk according to your liking. I sometimes just pour 1 can of the condense milk in the mixture and it is still really good.
ASSEMBLE THE MANGO FLOAT CAKE:
- Place 9 x 9.5 baking pan in a flat surface and line graham cracker at the bottom.
- Spread about 1 cup of the whipped cream and top[ it with the sliced the mango. Continue layering with Graham Crackers, whipped cream, mango.
- On the top, you can either decorate the mango float with crushed graham crackers or left over mango.
- Cover mango float with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.