- Prepare the pan: Use 15x 10 inch pan and line the pan with parchment paper leaving an extra inch sticking out off the pan. This will make the pumpkin roll easy to transfer and easy to roll. The parchment paper don’t stay in the pan, so just be patient and put a fold on the parchment paper to shape on the pan. I have to mention it again that 15x 10 inch pan is a must in this cake.
- Make your batter smooth. You can make your batter smooth by using a spatula, wire whisk or electric mixer, which I find unnecessary. The batter was very light that wire whisk was good enough to use. Add in the dry ingredients in the small bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, add in the eggs and sugar first, then beat them until smooth. You can now add the vanilla and pumpkin puree. And mix until incorporated. Now add the flour mixture and mix until smooth and no lumps.
- Bake the pumpkin cake roll: It’s very important that you pre heat your oven to 375 F. Make sure also that the wire rack is in the middle of the oven.
- Make the cream cheese filling: Instead of adding the vanilla extract, I skip it in this one. I thought it was gooey when vanilla is added, and I did not like that.
- Bake for 13 minutes: Every oven is different. Start timing your cake for 13 minute and test using a toothpick test. Get a toothpick and poke it in the middle. When the toothpick comes out clean, it’s done. if not, add in 2 more minutes. Keep an wye of your time, since this cake cook quickly.
- You don’t have to grease the parchment paper.
- I made this all the time and you can use towel to roll, but I found it too complicated. Parchment paper was just good enough. And some said that parchment paper made the cake too moist. NOPE. It was moist for sure, but it was not a different outcome from using the towel. Towel was just too messy, since you have to sprinkle it with powdered sugar too.
CAN I USE WAX PAPER?
- There is a difference between parchment paper and wax paper. Parchment paper is not too smooth as it is coated with silicon, while wax paper is coated with wax. Wax seals the moist in the unrolled pumpkin roll, so there is a chance of the cake cracking. So I recommend using a parchment paper.
HOW TO PREVENT MY CAKE FROM CRACKING?
- Don’t overcook it. 13-15 minutes was just enough.
- Be gentle when rolling.
HELP! The cake is sticking to the parchment paper!
- Calm down. Yes, the cake normally sticks to the paper when you roll and unroll. Just be gentle. And if indeed the cake cracks, you can sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar to cover the imperfection.
- Yes you can freeze it. In fact this weekend, I made two of this and froze one to give to a friend. When you are planning to freeze this pumpkin roll, DON’T SPRINKLE with powdered sugar. Wrap it with plastic wrap and wrap it again with a tin foil.
- This is perfect for me. The sweetness is just enough, the thickness is perfect. If you follow the instruction well, you can’t mess this up.
- I have tried using salted butter before and I did not taste any difference, so if you ran out of unsalted butter, use the salted butter you got.
SHOULD I USE REGULAR CREAM CHEESE OR LOW FAT CREAM CHEESE?
- I use regular cream cheese because I want my filling thick , but you can use low fat cream cheese too if you prefer a lighter version of the filling.
Old Fashioned Pumpkin Cake Roll
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 pack 8 oz cream cheese
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place oven rack in the middle of the oven and pre-heat oven to 375 F
- Prepare the pan: Use 15x 10 inch pan and line the pan with parchment paper leaving an extra inch sticking out off the pan. This will make the pumpkin roll easy to transfer and easy to roll. The parchment paper don't stay in the pan, so just be patient and put a fold on the parchment paper to shape on the pan. I have to mention it again that 15x 10 inch pan is a must in this cake.
- In a small bowl, add in all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, add in the sugar and egg together. Beat using a wire whisk or electric mixer until smooth. Add in the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree and mix.
- Add the flour mixture and mix gently using a spatula. Mix until incorporated.
- Pour mixture in the middle of the pan and spread evenly at the edges.
- Bake for 13 minutes in a preheated oven.
- HOW TO ROLL OLD FASHIONED PUMPKIN CAKE ROLL
- When the cake roll is cooked and baked, pick up the parchment paper and the cake and place in a flat surface.
- Roll cake while it's still hot.Don't remove cake from parchment paper. Start from the one short end to the other short end. Put cake in a wire rack until cool down.
- When the cake is cool, gently unroll the cake and taking off and removing the parchment paper as you go along. Spread the prepared cream cheese filling. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FILL 1/2 INCH OF THE EDGES. This is very important so that the filling will not spread out.
- Roll the cake again and wrap it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or 4 hours before serving.
- Sprinkle cake with powder sugar.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- Place cream cheese and butter in a medium sized bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar and beat again until smooth. If there are more lumps, smoothen the filling by mixing using a spatula.