Strawberry Spinach Salad is a feast for the tummy and for the eyes! This appetizing summer salad is so refreshing and easy to prepare!
I love how easy and light salads like this make for a great lunch or dinner. It is so colorful and vibrant that is just perfect for a summer recipe! Serve it with some Pork Lechon Belly Roll, Filipino Chicken Barbecue, or Chinese Pork Belly for a sumptuous meal!
This Strawberry Spinach Salad is my tribute for summer. The air is getting colder now, and the strawberry season is just about to end. In just a few days, the warmth of summer will be replaced by the comfort of autumn.
But do not fret. Summer or not, we are sure to enjoy light salads as this dish. I like how there are many layers of different flavors and textures in it yet the whole thing takes just a few minutes to prepare.
And the fruit paired with greens cannot get any more refreshing! All the other ingredients accentuate and highlight the strawberry-spinach pairing in this dish.
And the dressing is to-die-for. It is a light vinaigrette using only just a few ingredients. With this make-your-own-dressing recipe, you will no longer have to rely on the store-bought kind.
And you are free to adjust the taste depending on your preference. Isn't it just practical to make your own dressing at home?
What goes in a Strawberry Spinach Salad?
For the dressing, you will need the following:
- white vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- ground pepper
- olive oil
For the salad, you will need the following elements:
- fresh: baby spinach, strawberries - the fresher, the better, red onion - minimize the bite by soaking it first in water before incorporating it in
- creamy: feta cheese
- crunchy: candied pecans and sunflower seeds - also add sweet and nutty flavors
How to make Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Prepare the dressing: Put the ingredients in a covered container and shake to mix. Then, put the mixture in the fridge for later. Alternatively, you can whisk together the ingredients of the dressing in a bowl.
- Assemble: In a bowl, put the greens, the fruit, and the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss and serve: Pour some of the dressing, toss, and serve.
What to Serve with Strawberry Spinach Salad?
You can use this dish as a side dish to almost anything. It goes well with protein that is grilled, barbecued, or roasted.
You can also serve this with bread or soup, or even with a pasta dish. The carbs will be balanced well with this fresh dish.
One great thing about making dishes like this is versatility. You can make a lot of variations to twist things up. Here are some suggestions that you can try:
- Instead of pecans, you can toss in almonds or walnuts.
- You can add in more fruits like mandarin oranges, apples, avocado, or other berries.
- Replace feta cheese with goat cheese.
Can I make this salad ahead?
Yes! You can assemble the salad for up to 2 days ahead and store it in the fridge. Prepare the dressing separately and store it separately, too. Then, just toss everything together right before serving. It is that simple!
- To make your own candied pecans, follow this procedure:
- Prepare 1/4 cup raw pecans, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and 2 tsp butter.
- Melt some butter and dissolve in brown sugar.
- Mix until the mixture caramelizes.
- Pour in the pecans and mix until coated well.
- Remove the pecan and allow it to cool.
- To turn this side dish into a full meal, add in some grilled chicken or even rotisserie chicken. If you have leftovers from other dishes, you can shred that meat and add it to this dish, too.
- When using cheese in salads, it is best to buy a big block of it and crumble it by yourself. You get the most out of the flavors this way.
While you are here, check out these healthy recipes:
- 30 Minute Salmon Bowl with Avocado Mango Salsa
- Cucumber Salad
- Beet Salad
- Tangerine and Watercress Salad
1/4 cup White Vinegar ( you can use balsamic vinegar)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
1 tablespoons honey
salt and ground pepper
8 0z baby spinach
1/2 lb strawberries, hulled and sliced
3 oz feta cheese, optional
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
3 tablespoon roasted sunflower seed
1/4 cup candied pecans (recipe to make your own in the notes)
add raisins, craisinS, dates for extra sweetness
FOR THE CANDIED PECAN:
1/4 cup raw pecan
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons butter
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
Add vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard,honey, salt and pepper in a small container.
Cover the container and shake until the ingredients are incorporated.
Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
FOR THE SALAD:
Arrange spinach and strawberries in a medium sized bowl and top with pecan and sunflower seeds.
Add in 2 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and gently toss all of the ingredients. Serve immediately.
FOR THE CANDIED PECAN:
IF YOU PREFER TO COOK YOUR OWN CANDIED PECANS:
Melt butter in a small non stick pan.
When butter is melted, add in sugar and continue cooking in a medium-heat until sugar is melted and caramelized. Add in pecan and continue cooking in low heat until the pecan is well coated and liquid is evaporated. Remove pecan from the pan and let cool.