This is a healthier version of that Orange Chicken we buy from the grocery store and Panda Express. Stop worrying about the calories.
This is a healthier version of that Orange Chicken we buy from the grocery store and Panda Express. So fear no more, and enjoy an orange chicken that you are not guilty to indulge and munch with. This is a baked chicken breast. The chicken breasts slices were marinated with fresh orange juice, orange zest, and more. I hope you like it.
My family is a sucker for Chinese food. Chinese take-out, a Chinese buffet, we are in. So when you are on a diet like me, living so close to the grocery store that sells the best Orange Chicken does not help at all, because their Orange chicken is deep-fried; therefore, it is terribly high in calories. It is either I will completely spurn the best Orange Chicken by moving to the highest mountains, without any access for transportation, or I will make my own healthy version.I thought the latter is a more practical idea. So I am baking my chicken it is.
You might be thinking why I cooked this meal in batch. It is because this meal will be consumed until breakfast and lunch the next day. Although this is excellent if served hot, it is still good for pack lunch. Just heat it in the microwave and it is good to go.
When I ate this food, there was no guilt at all. This is the kind of Chinese food that I should be eating…
FOR MORE CHEAP AND BUDGET-FRIENDLY MEALS:
- Chicken Leg Oven Bake –If you are on a budget, buy chicken leg. I always find it cheap in my grocery store and I have a full pack in my freezer. This recipe is a delicious way to cook chicken leg.
- Budget-Friendly Meal Plan # 1 –This is my collection of meal prep and budget-friendly meals, and I am sharing it with you. I know you are busy with work, parenthood, and chores, so these meals are easy to prepare. They are cheap too.
- Homemade chicken Gyros – Simple, delicious, and a perfect way to gather a crowd. Serve this at your next family gathering and have the guest assemble their gyro. They can add this homemade Tzatziki Sauce too.
- Honey Garlic Chicken –This is one of my favorite quick meals on a budget. Ideally, white meat is the best way to go, the expert said, but this is made of chicken thigh. I am partial to the chicken thigh as it is tastier and juicier than chicken breast. Ignore the so-called experts and lean on how your food should taste. SO make this now.
- Velveeta Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese -This has to be in the budget meal because it’s super cheap and always a family favorite. It’s always the top click on my Pinterest account and most commented. My children can’t get enough of this.
Healthier Version of Chinese Orange Chicken
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breast slice into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup of corn starch for the chicken breading plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch for the marinade
- 2 large eggs beaten
- spray oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 green onion for garnish
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice I got this from two oranges
- 1 tbs orange zest from the orange you can add more zest if you like
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch length ginger crushed
- In a large bowl, mixed together the marinade ingredient. Set aside.
- Place the sliced chicken breast in another bowl in a zip lock or a bowl. Spoon in 2/3 cup of the marinade and mix it with the chicken breast. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is ready, drain the marinade and prepare a large baking sheet and spray it with non stick oil. Set aside.
- Scramble the egg in a bowl. Pour in one cup of corn starch on a flat plate. Keep the cornstarch handy as you may need more of it later.
- Pre heat oven at 400 F.
- Dip the chicken breast into the scrambled egg and roll it into the cornstarch. Place it on the baking sheet. Do the same to the rest of the chicken.Bake the chicken for 10 minutes then turn the other side for another 10 minutes.
- When the chicken is almost ready, place the remaining of the marinade into a sauce pan and let it simmer. Mix the 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of water and mix until smooth. Then pour mixture into the simmering marinade. Continue mixing until the marinade is sticky.
- When the chicken is cooked, put them into a deep bowl and drizzle in the marinade or toss the chicken gently. Garnish with onion leaves and lemon zest. NOTE: For me, I I drizzle the chicken with the sauce so that the breading is still intact.
- Serve Hot.