How to Make Mango Sticky Rice in the Instant Pot. Make Mango Sticky Rice in the Instant Pot and it’s cooked quickly- twenty minutes of steaming to be exact. I will share with you the secret and the exact water and rice ratio to make it perfect each time.
How to Make Mango Sticky Rice in the Instant Pot
Cooking Mango Sticky rice has been on my menu list for a while now, and I did not get around of making it. Finally, I made it yesterday, since it as my day off and I wanted to get this menu off my list and Costco has been selling sweet mangoes too.
So here it is!
What is Sticky Rice?
Sticky rice is a type of rice that uses Glutinous rice or sweet rice. When it is cooked or steamed, the rice is clumped together and sticky. It is sweeter compared to Jasmine Rice, Sushi Rice, or Calrose Rice. Sticky rice is more commonly used as dessert rice since it has a sweeter taste.
In the Philippines, we cook sticky rice mixed with coconut milk. Although Sticky rice is famous in Asian countries, sticky rice is more known as Mango Sticky rice and is made famous in Thailand, thus the name Thai Mango Sticky rice.
Thai Mango Sticky Rice
I first tried Thai Mango Sticky Rice in one of the Thai restaurants here. This restaurant sells the best Mango Sticky rice near me, so I am one of their frequent customers. After Covid, they raised their prices, and going there has hurt my budget, so now I am making sticky rice at home. Homemade sticky rice cooked at home is way better since you can customize and control the sweetness of the sticky rice and the amount of coconut milk added. So I root for you to make it at home.
Making Mango Sticky rice is really easy and quick, special when it is made in the Instant Pot.
I want to emphasize each instant pot is different, and some settings may not be on the instant pot you got. In my case, I am using Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker with Air Fryer Lid, 8 Quart. This Instant pot doesn’t have the rice setting, so I am using the pressure cooker setting.
Ingredients to make Mango Sticky Rice
- Glutinous Rice – there are several brands of sticky rice. You can use any brand you want. Just make sure that you’ll see a glutinous rice label on the package.
- Coconut milk – Use creamy coconut milk.
- Salt- In the Philippines, we make our sticky rice saltier than the Thai Mango Sticky rice I tasted; so this recipe is leaning more on my preference. So add in more salt or lesser.
- Sugar- I used granulated sugar in this recipe, since it does not leave an earthy flavor, which I prefer, and I highly recommend that you use it in this recipe since granulated sugar doesn’t have an aftertaste in it.
How Do you Make Mango Sticky Rice in the Instant Pot?
In the Philippines, we steam our sticky rice in the steamer, just when I make my Steamed Buns (Siopao). But instead of my regular steamer, I steamed this Sticky Rice in my Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer.
Step one: Soak rice overnight to make it soft. Add in one cup of rice and five cups of water and let the rice soak overnight.
Step two: Drain the rice using a strainer. Make sure that the water is drained by shaking the strainer in all directions.
Step three: Set up the Instant Pot. Place the Air fryer basket in the inner pot and place the dehydrating tray, pour in five cups of water, and cover the tray with parchment paper. Place the soaked sticky rice and distribute it across the tray using your hand.
Step four: Put the Pressure cooker lid on. Cover the Instant Pot with the pressure cooker lid and set on the steam button and set a timer for twelve minutes.
Can you cook Sticky Rice in the Rice cooker?
- Yes, you can! Check my Biko post to see how it is done. Soak one cup of glutinous rice overnight and drain to remove excess water. Place the rice in the rice cooker pot and one and a half cups of water and push the cook button.
How do you cook on the stove pot?
- Use the same procedure of soaking the rice overnight and cooking at low heat until the sticky rice is cooked. Fluff the sticky rice using a spoon and turn off the heat.
What is the trick to making sticky rice?
- Soak the rice overnight to soften the grains
- Measure the ingredients.
- 1 cup Glutinous Rice Plus one and a half cups of water
- Make sure to read the labels. Check for Glutinous rice or sweet rice. You can accidentally buy Jasmine or Sushi rice without you knowing.
What kind of rice is used for sticky rice?
- Buy the Glutinous rice or Sweet rice.
For more Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- Instant Pot Gua Bao
- Instant Pot Oyster Sauce Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Pork Chashu
- Instant Pot Pearl Meatballs
- Instant Pot Steamed Pork and Shrimp Dumplings
- Instant Pot Char Siu
- Instant Pot Korean Cheese Katsu
How to Make Mango Sticky Rice in the Instant Po
- 1 Instant Pot Duo Plus Air Fryer
- 1 cup Glutinous Rice
- 5 cups water for steaming
Sticky rice mixture Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Serving sauce Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Coconut milk this is the remaining amount of the coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- Black Sesame seed for garnish
- Soak rice overnight to make it soft. Add in once cup of rice and five cups of water and let the rice soak overnight.
- Drain the rice using a strainer. Make sure that the water is drained by shaking the strainer in all directions.
- Set up the Instant Pot. Place the Air fryer basket in the inner pot and place the dehydrating tray, pour in five cups of water and cover the tray with parchment paper. Place the soaked sticky rice and distribute it across the tray using your hand.
- Put the Pressure cooker lid. Cover the Instant Pot with the pressure cooker lid and set on the steam button and set timer for twenty minutes. Transfer sticky rice in a large bowl and set aside.
- When the rice is almost done, place the sticky rice mixture sauce in a sauce pan and cook all of the ingredients until simmering. Pour mixture into the sticky rice and mix Let the mixture sit for one hour.
- Cook the serving sauce ingredients in low heat until simmering. Make and slurry by mixing the cornstarch and water until there are no lumps. Pour mixture into the serving sauce until thick. Turn off heat and top mixture to the sticky rice.