Shrimp recipe with leeks is the way to go today. The shrimps were coated with salt , pepper and sugar to augment the shrimps’ sweetness. If you want this meal to have a hint of vegetables in it, you can add in the leeks if you want to.
shrimp with leeks recipe
I got my first job when I was in third grade. It was a not a high paying job, but I was so proud about it because of the salary I got, I was able to afford to buy a Choc Nut ( a Filipino type of Chocolate made with flour and peanuts). It was a noble job and laborious job. After I work for a few hours, I stunk so bad, my parents demanded for me to take a shower – to my chagrin. Who likes to shower anyway when you are nine years old. So, I ran and hide under the bamboo bench, hoping not to be found.
Looking back, I cannot help but chuckle on those innocent memories. And what a good and fun memory about peeling shrimp. Yes, my job was peeling shrimp. I have to remove the shrimps’ shells for half day then I get paid per gram of the shrimps I peeled. These shrimps were not the big ones. They were the teeny tiny ones, so it was a laborious job. My hands turned so dry and wrinkly, but after a long half day’s work, I got what I want – Choc Nut.
I love reminiscing good memories specially when it looks so gloomy outside and it is so cold. I feel like I want to be brought back way back home and snuggle under the warm arms of my parents. Since I am a stay at home mom now, I want to remember myself as a hard working little lad who once worked a smelly but a very fulfilling job.
So to bring all of us to my ” difficult” young life, I am going to share to you this shrimp recipe and I promise you – it is delicious.
Here in the USA, I seldom peel shrimps because the shells are already removed when I buy it from the store. Sometimes, however, when I want to dust off my shrimp peeling expertise, I buy the unpeeled shrimps and peel the shrimps like crazy. There is just the Zen feeling of reminiscing my first job and remembering the fun conversations I had with my “peeling shrimp colleagues.” Hmm, I wonder what were my concerns back then? Maybe it was about how many choc nut I will get from the shrimps, or what games to play after I get off work.
To be honest, unpeeled shrimps are better than the ready peeled ones, because the sweetness of the shrimp and pungent smell are still intact. These adds a better taste to the viand. Although, I recommend highly that you peel your own shrimp, there is no pressure of doing it yourself. So go ahead buy buy some shrimps and leeks and let us make this meal together!
Note: Please check the Step by Step Guide on how to clean leeks here.
When I thought I cannot go on, I force myself TO KEEP GOING. My success is based on PERSISTENCE, not luck – Estee Lauder
Here are some suggestions:
- Chicken Breast Barbecue
- Roasted Pork Belly
- Sesame Vegetable Asian Salad Dressing
- Grilled Chicken with Cucumber Salad
- Herb Garlic Bread
- Moist Pumpkin Bread
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon salt add the salt slowly depending in your taste. For me, however, 1 tsp was enough
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar adjust accordingly depending in your taste
- 1 pound peeled raw jumbo shrimp
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil OR any regular oil you have this is for cooking the shrimp
- 1 red chili seeded and finely chopped ( you can skip this if you do not like it spicy)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 stem leek thinly sliced. you can skip the leeks if you want
- Finely grind peppercorn in a mortar ( there are peppercorn available in the store that has a grinder, you can use that one)
- Mix the salt, pepper, sugar and peppercorn in a large bowl. Set aside
- Rinse the peeled shrimp under cold water,pat dry. Add them in in the salt,pepper, sugar and peppercorn mixture. Mix completely to coat the spices will coat the shrimps.
- Heat the oil in the pan.
- Add the shrimp chili,ginger and garlic, leeks ( if adding) and stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until the shrimps are cooked through and has changed their color
- Add the salt and pepper (if desired) and stir fry for another minute. ( season depending on how salty you want it)
- Transfer to a bowl or place and serve immediately.