Chicken Mami with Egg. When the weather is cold and gray the only thing that can help is warm soup. This deliciously comforting Chicken Mami is just the thing to chase the cold away and thanks to the Instant Pot it’s so easy to make!
What is Chicken Mami?
Wonderfully rich, slow simmering Chicken Mami is a familiar dish to most Filipinos. It is a rich and meaty chicken soup that is beloved throughout the Philippines and beyond. This legendary Filipino recipe was allegedly invented by a Chinese immigrant named Ma Mon Luk who was running a restaurant in the Philippines. The soup has bold flavors that remind eaters of both delicious cultures.
This awesome update has all the flavors of traditional Chicken Mami but is made so much easier thanks to the Instant Pot!
What Makes Chicken Mami so Great!?
The delectable soup has everything you need to cure whatever is ailing you from the blues to a rough night to a real cold. The traditional ingredients in this Chicken Mami have long been turned to for their healthy and healing benefits, like lemongrass which is known as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. From ginger to lean chicken everything in this bowl will help boost your body back to its normal strength!
While this delicious Chicken Mami will certainly work as a delicious cold buster it is so much more! Every spoonful of this savory soup will remind you of childhood in the most deliciously special way. Eating this inviting soup will remind you of being in your parents’ kitchen and it will become a wholesome you will want to share with your loved ones. There is no food as tasty as one made with love and this Chicken Mami is packed with love.
Instant Pot Ease!
Traditionally the trick to great soup is simmering the soup for a long time to extract the most flavor possible from all the ingredients. Thanks to the amazing Instant Pot, spending a whole day simmering soup is a thing of the past! The awesome appliance makes the perfect Chicken Mami in a fraction of the time!
Ingredients for Chicken Mami
- Water-Water makes the base of this soup, but don’t worry, so much wonderful flavor is added to the water that it will not be recognizable in the finished soup!
- Ginger Root-Sweet and spicy ginger is the perfect way to give this soup some great healing flavor. Use fresh ginger to give this soup great flavor!
- Lemongrass-Lemongrass is an amazing botanical that has a bright flavor that blends notes of grassiness and notes of citrus. It’s just the ingredient to add balancing lemony notes to the savory chicken.
- Red Onion-Red onion has a great flavor in both raw and cooked dishes but in this recipe, it’s stewed to extract a great level of sweet and spicy onion flavor.
- Garlic-Garlic is such an irresistible flavor and in this soup, it is able to stew and open up in flavor. Use fresh garlic or jarred in a pinch.
- Chicken-You can’t have Chicken Mami without chicken! For this recipe use chicken leg quarters. They will stew nicely and have plenty of delicious meat available when shredded for serving.
- Chicken Bouillon-Chicken Bouillon turns up the volume on this flavorful broth! It adds plenty of salty, chicken broth flavor. If you are watching your salt, choose a low-sodium version of this ingredient.
- Canola Oil-Canola oil is the perfect oil for cooking chicken and vegetables because it is a neutral oil with a high smoke point. If you prefer you can swap this ingredient with vegetable oil, grapeseed oil, or another neutral oil.
- Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Pepper, and Fish Sauce-Each of these spices and seasonings brings a little something special to the tasty Chicken Mami. Use just a little of each and taste your soup before adding more.
How to Make Chicken Mami with Egg
Cook the Noodles
- Place the inner pot into the Instant Pot base and push the saute button setting. Wait for three minutes and add the oil.
- Brown the chicken on all sides and remove it from the pot. Using the same oil, or you can add more oil, add and brown the ginger. When ready add the onion and the lemongrass. Add the bouillon and crush. Add the chicken back into the pot.
- Cancel the sautee function. Cover the pot with the pressure cooker lid. Push the pressure cooker function and set the pressure to HI. Set the timer to 26 minutes.
- When done, quickly release the steam and season the broth. Season with salt, pepper, and fish sauce according to your liking.
Assemble the Chicken Mami:
- Shred the chicken and put it into the bowl. Arrange Mayak eggs or boiled eggs. Garnish with green onions and pour in the broth.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Don’t be afraid to add some extra oil if needed after browning the chicken. Not only does the oil help the veggies cook and not stick but it will loosen up any tasty browned bits of chicken stuck to the pot.
- Always be careful when doing a quick steam release on the Instant Pot. Keep your hands clear of the steam to avoid burns.
- For extra intense flavor garnish the Chicken Mami with Mayak Eggs instead of regular hard-boiled, find the recipe for these flavorful marinated eggs here!
What to Serve with Chicken Mami?
- On a cold day, this Chicken Mami is really all you need! Pair the soup with some crusty bread or steamed buns. If you like your soup with noodles, try adding plain rice or egg noodles for a little extra chew, and don’t forget to garnish it with boiled or marinated eggs.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Mami
- To store this comforting soup, allow it to cool thoroughly. Transfer fully cooled soup to an airtight container. Store the Chicken Mami in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can optionally store the shredded chicken separately or mix them for easier storage.
- To reheat the soup on the stove, pour it into a pot and heat over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally and continue heating until the soup is warm throughout.
- In the microwave, pour the soup into a microwave-safe container with a lid. Cover with a paper towel and heat for 1 minute. Stir the soup and optionally re-cover and continue heating for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Can Chicken Mami Be Frozen?
- To freeze Chicken Mami, pour the cooled soup into a heavy-duty freezer bag and press out any excess air. Seal the bag and label it with the contents and the date it was prepared. Lay the bag flat in the freezer and store it for up to six months.
- To thaw, place the bag on a tea towel in the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight, and then follow the reheating directions above.
More Recipes You’ll Love
If you loved this recipe and want more warm, comforting Filipino food that is just as easy to make try these delicious recipes:
- Chicken Tocino Easy Recipe with Pineapple Juice
- Filipino Garlic Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Beef Mechado
- Filipino Style Spaghetti Sauce
- Instant Pot Steam Buns Easy Recipe
Chicken Mami with Egg (Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Duo Crisps Plus Air Fryer 8 qt
- 1/2 lb Chicken Leg Quarter
- 4 inch Ginger cut into strips
- 1 stem lemongrass pound and tie ina knot
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Red Onion chopped
- 8 cups Water or Chicken stock
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 2 lb Mami/Yakisoba Noodles
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Cilantro, green onions, boiled egg
- Boil five cups of water and add the Mami/Yakisoba noodles. Use a chopstick to separate the noodle strands. Let the noodles sit in the boiling water for three minutes and immediately remove the noodle from the water. Strain excess water and set aside.
- Put the inner pot in the Instant Pot Base. Push the saute setting and set the timer to thirty minutes.
- Wait for three minutes and add a small amount of oil.
- Brown the chicken quarters on both sides-five minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add more oil and saute the ginger until brown. Add the lemon grass and cook for two more minutes. Add the red onion and garlic. Add in the chicken bouillon and crush it if you are not using the powder one. Add a small amount of water and scrape the bottom using a plastic or wooden spoon. Add the remaining cups of water/chicken broth.
- Let the water simmer for three more minutes and put the browned chicken leg quarter.
- Cancel the saute setting. Cover the pot with the pressure cooker lid and push the pressure cook button setting. Set pressure to HI and set the timer to twenty- eight minutes. Quick release when done.
- Season with the garlic, onion powder and garlic salt. You can use fish sauce if you prefer.
- Shred the chicken and set it aside. Strain the chicken broth.
Assemble the Chicken Mami Bowl
- Place the prepared noodles in a bowl and add the shredded chicken. Garnish with cilantro, green onions, or any vegetables of your set. Pour the chicken broth and put the egg on top.