This Hong Kong Style French Toast is a filling breakfast you can make quickly. It’s filled with creamy peanut butter mixed with sweetened condensed milk. Top it with unsalted butter and air fried until golden brown and drizzled with maple syrup, it’s so good, you’ll be coming back for seconds or thirds.
This is a less oily version of the famous deep-fried Hongkong French Toast.
Hong Kong Style French Toast (Air Fryer)
In spite of all the various changes that have taken in my life: kids going to college, fostering a dog and owning one, change of work schedule, and gaining weight, one thing is constant- Hong Kong Style French Toast. This is my comfort breakfast when I need a “pick me up” meal. Normally, this toast is deep fried with “gallons’ of oil, which actually add taste to it, but today, we are cooking it in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, air frying it for eight minutes or until it’s toasty, yielding a non-oily toast. So delicious!
Ingredients for this Hong Kong Style French Toast (Air Fryer)
- Slice Bread- you can use any kind of slice of bread. I prefer white bread. You can use wheat bread or potato bread.
- Creamy Peanut Butter- use creamy peanut butter.
- Condense Milk- this is used to sweeten the toast.
- Milk-you can use evaporated bread if you prefer. Ideally, you can use Heavy whipping cream for this recipe, but you can use whole milk too. In this post, I used whole milk.
- Granulated Sugar
How do you Make It
Step One: Place milk, condensed milk, egg, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and sugar in a large bowl and mix together until the sugar is dissolved.
Step Two: Spread creamy peanut butter on the bread. Place the other slice of bread on top. Dip the bread in the egg mixture on both sides. Don’t soak the bread too much, or it will become soggy. mixture soak into the bread. Roll in the bread crumbs.
Step three: Place the inner pot in the base and place the air fryer basket with the broiler/dehydrator tray. Spray the tray with nonstick oil.
Step four: Place the bread in the tray and spray it with nonstick oil. Cover it with the air fryer lid. Push the air fry button. Set the temperature to 375 F. Set the timer to eight minutes.
For more Instant Pot Recipes:
- Air Fryer Toast
- Strawberry Scones
- Blueberry Scones
- 30 Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Gua Bao
- Instant Pot Oyster Sauce Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Pearl Meatballs
- Instant Pot Steamed Pork and Shrimp Dumplings
- Instant Pot Char Siu
- Instant Pot Korean Cheese Katsu
- Hong Kong-style french toast tastes best when eaten fresh; so just make enough for one-time consumption.
- Place the leftover sauce in an air-tight container and you can freeze it. This sauce is good in the fridge for three days.
Hong Kong Style French Toast
- 1 8 quart Instant Pot Duo Crisp Plus Air Fryer Lid
- 1 bowl
- 1 wire whisk
- 4 pieces sliced bread
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk you can use heavy whipping cream or evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs please see notes
- Place milk, condensed milk, eggs, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and sugar in a large bowl and mix together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Place the inner pot in the base and place the air fryer basket with the broiler/dehydrator tray. Spray the tray with nonstick oil.
- Spread creamy peanut butter on the bread. Place the other slice of bread on top. Dip the bread in the egg mixture, on both sides. Don't soak the bread so that it will not become soggy. Roll in the bread crumbs.
- Place the bread into the prepared tray and spray the top of the bread with nonstick oil. Cover with the air fryer lid and push the air fryer setting. Set the timer to eight minutes and set the temperature to 375 F. Add three more minutes if you want it crispier.
- Place leftover dipping sauce in a container and freeze, or, place it in the fridge and use it within three days. Use just enough, as this is best eaten fresh.
- Use the Japanese bread crumbs called Panko as it is more coarse compared that any other bread crumbs.
- This is not microwave friendly, so make just enough for consumption. he sauce is good for six servings, so store leftover in the fridge not longer than three days, or you can freeze it.