Stop buying and make your fish cake. It’s chewy in each bite. Simple to make, cheap ingredients, and so good.
Korean Fish Cake
When I was in the Philippines, I loved eating fish cakes sold in street carts in our school. These food stalls cater to Korean students who love them, and it did not take long that I got curious and loved it.
I made this lot when I was a young mom feeding them to my kids, who love its springy texture. They eat this for snacks.
Grocery stores here in my city don’t carry fish cake, so I buy it in bulk -frozen. Still, I ran out, so I made a large batch just in case an urge for it arose. You can freeze it, so it never goes to waste.
Making this is seriously very easy. If you don’t have a processor, you can ground the meat using a blender or pound it with a knife.
So let’s make this!
- Cod – you can use
- Shrimp – clean and remove shells and devein.
- Squid- make sure to clean thoroughly. Remove the gut and remove any black spots. I highly recommend adding these ingredients as it adds a springy texture.
- Garlic – this adds spice and taste.
- Onion-this add spice and taste.
- Sugar- Heightens the sweet flavor of the seafood.
- Salt and Ground Pepper- adds flavor.
- Flour, Corn Starch, Egg, Oil- serve as a binding agent and add flavor.
HOW DO YOU MAKE IT?
- Clean the seafood. There are no bones in the fish, no shells in the shrimp, and the squid is clean. Slice them into bite-sized pieces and put them in the processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until pasty.
- Heat two cups of cooking oil. Brush a flat spoon with oil, spread the fish cake mixture, push using a knife or spatula, and drop to the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Drain excess fat using a paper towel.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
- Korean fish cake can be frozen. Just let it cool down after deep frying and put in a ziplock.
- It lasts for a long time. You can store it the freeze it for six months. Just thaw it and fry again when it’s ready to eat.
WHAT TO SERVE IT WITH:
- You can eat it by itself, dip it with ketchup, or add it to your soup and vegetables. I love eating it with rice.
For more seafood recipes:
Check the seafood category here: Seafood
Korean fish cake
- Food Processor
- frying pan
- flat spoon
- 1/2 lb Cod Fillet and clean. make sure that there are no bones. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
- 1/2 lb Shrimp Deveined and cleaned, Slice into bite-size pieces.
- 1/2 lb Squid Remove the gut, remove the skin, Slice into bite-size pieces.
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- Place the fish, shrimp, and squid in the processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Process until it forms into a paste.
- Transfer to a container and prepare for cooking.
- Heat two cups of cooking oil. Brush a flat spoon with oil, spread the fish cake mixture, push using a knife or spatula to form into a log, drop to the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Drain excess fat using a paper towel.