Wow! This Chicken Katsu Recipe will blow your socks off! It’s a simple chicken Katsu recipe that uses simple common ingredients yet the outcome is so good.
Chicken Katsu Recipe
I love chicken katsu. I remember having this with my friend when I was in college. Although I had a very limited allowance at that time, I always make sure that I allocate a budget for eating out in one of the small Japanese restaurants near our University. And they always serve it with rice. It was at this moment when I felt rich in spite of the fact that I was a broke college student.
Since this is commonly served in restaurants in the Philippines, I did not have a need to how to cook this until I came here to the USA – to my family’s delight.
What is Chicken Katsu
Katsu is a Japanese word that means fry. So we are deep-frying the chicken breast and coating it with a homemade batter and Panko to make it extra crispy.
In this post, we are using chicken breast meat; but you can certainly use chicken thigh. Once it’s done, we will drizzle the chicken with the homemade Katsu sauce.
- Mallet or rolling pin
- Frying pan
- salt & pepper
- Bread Crumbs
Chicken Katsu Recipe
Chicken breast meat has different thicknesses, in order to level its thickness, you have to flatten it by pounding it with a rolling pin or a mallet. This will cook the chicken at the same time and it tenderizes the meat making the cooked product tender and moist.
Flatten the chicken breast: Place chopping board on a flat surface. over the board with a plastic wrap. Place the chicken on top and put another plastic on top of the chicken. Gently flatten the chicken breast using a mallet or a rolling pin.
Prepare the batter: Mix the egg, flour, water, and oil in a medium-sized bowl. Add the salt & pepper. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Season flattened chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Dip flattened chicken breast and dip into the prepared batter. Roll the chicken in the bread crumbs. Cover and let it sit for 3o minutes.
Deep Fry: After letting the chicken breast rest for 30 minutes, heat two cups of canola oil. Fry chicken until golden brown on all sides. Do the same to the rest of the flattened chicken. Drain the chicken in the paper towel and fry for the second time. Drain excess oil in a paper towel.
Can I prepare it ahead of time?
I often make a huge batch of this and prepare it ahead of time and freeze it already coated with the batter. When I am ready to fry it, I let it thaw in the fridge and let it sit at room temperature when it’s ready for frying.
Can I freeze it?
Freeze this coated and ready. Place in a ziplock and freeze.
How to serve?
Serve this with
- Rice cooker and brown rice recipe
- Leftover Ham Fried Rice with Mixed Frozen Veggies
- One Pot Chicken Thigh and Rice Casserole
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
For more chicken recipes:
- Budget Friendly Meal Plan # 1
- Homemade chicken Gyros
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Velveeta Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese
Tips and tricks
- Use Panko breadcrumbs. I highly recommend it, since it’s coarser compared to other breadcrumbs.
- Fry the chicken twice. First, fry the breaded chicken until golden brown. Remove it from the oil and let it sit for 5 minutes. Refry for 2 more minutes on both sides.
- Make sure the oil is hot before frying. Test the oil by dipping wooden chopsticks in the middle of the pan. If bubbles form around the chopsticks, it’s ready.
- mallet or rolling pin
- frying pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons canola cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs use Panko Japanese bread crumbs
- 2 pieces chicken breast
- 2 cups canola oil
- Flatten the chicken breast: Place chopping board on a flat surface. over the board with a plastic wrap. Place the chicken on top and put another plastic on top of the chicken. Gently flatten the chicken breast using a mallet or a rolling pin. When done, season the chicken breast with half a teaspoon of salt and pepper on each side.Prepare the batter: Mix the egg, flour, water, and oil in a medium-sized bowl. Add half a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Mix until there are no lumps. In a separate bowl, place one cup of bread crumbs.Deep Fry: Heat two cups of cooking oil and test its temperature. Please see above. Dip chicken breast into the prepared batter. Roll the chicken in the bread crumbs and fry until golden brown on all sides. Do the same to the rest of the flattened chicken. Let sit and refry for the second time. Drain excess oil in a paper towel.