Rice Cooker Black Bean and Brown rice Recipe Easy and Filling It is seasoned with garlic and onion powder and sesame oil are added to make it tastier. Add all the ingredients and let the rice cooker do its magic.
I am not a big fan of brown rice. I prefer white rice in everything, but I have to switch to brown rice per the doctor’s advice. I am not sure if adding all of the spices and salt will be the doctor’s approval, but boy, this Rice Cooker Black Bean and Brown Rice Recipe took the cake for me. This has been the recipe I have been using since my family loves it too.
CAN YOU COOK BROWN RICE IN A RICE COOKER?
There ae different types of rice cooker and some settings have “brown rice” setting in it; so you can just push that button and let the rice cooker do the cooking. If your rice cooker doesn’t have the brown rice setting, just add 4 cups of water per 2 cups of brown rice. Note that this has extra water, to accommodate the black beans too. If you are not adding beans, add 3 cups water for 1 cup of rice.
COOKING BROWN RICE STOVETOP
When I was in the Philippines, we did not have a rice cooker at all, so we cook our rice stovetop. And it did not even occur to me to measure the water using cups.
I was just taught to measure the water using my finger.
I was actually surprised that after 23 years of marriage, I saw my husband last month, using cup to measure the water. 🙂 There is still so much to learn from a spouse.
But to make sure, when you are cooking Brown Rice stovetop:
1 cup of rice plus 4 cups water —- NOTE THAT YOU STILL HAVE TO WATCH IT
Make sure that you cook the rice in medium-low
When the brown rice is dry and the grains are still not cooked, set fire to low and add 1/4 cup water. Add more if needed.
FOR MORE CHEAP AND BUDGET-FRIENDLY MEALS:
- Chicken Leg Oven Bake
- Budget-Friendly Meal Plan # 1
- Homemade chicken Gyros
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Velveeta Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese
FOR MORE RICE RECIPE:
Rice Cooker Black Bean and Brown Rice Recipe
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Put rice in the rice cooker and wash twice. Drain water and add in 4 cups of water.
- Drain liquid from the beans and add with the rice.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to distribute the beans in the bowl.
- Put bowl in the rice cooker and close.
- Push the brown rice setting and let cook.
WHEN COOKING THE BROWN RICE AND BEANS STOVE TOP:
- Place the rice in a big pot and follow the instruction above. Make sure that you cook the rice in medium low. Add let cook for 45 minutes. Start checking 35 minutes.
- When the brown rice is dry and water fully absorb, and the grains are still not cook, set fire to low and add 1/4 cup water. Fluff rice using spoon and add more water if needed.
Hi, my name is Shobee. Welcome to The Skinny Pot, where we cook Easy Recipes from the available ingredients from our pantry and fridge! We’re your go-to source for simple and delicious recipes that make the most of what you already have at home. Talk about the pantry challenge. Read more...