Instant Pot Suman. Cooking Suman in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp is similar to the traditional Suman cooked in the steamer. The recipe is the same, but the cooking time is way quicker when it’s steamed in the Instant Pot – 15 minutes.
What is Suman
Suman is a Filipino snack made of sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves. Suman is often served on holidays and special occasions. This is sold on street stalls and restaurants in the Philippines.
What I love about this snack is, its capacity to fill you up easily. It is also very easy to make, that you can make this at home.
I want to emphasize each instant pot is different, and some settings may not be on the instant pot you got. In my case, I am using Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker with Air Fryer Lid, 8 Quart. This Instant pot doesn’t have the rice setting, so I am using the pressure cooker setting.
Instant Pot Suman Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare the Sticky rice-Soak the sticky rice with water and soak overnight. Drain the water using a strainer. Shake the strainer to remove excess water.
Step two: Prepare the Instant Duo-Place the inner pot in and place the air fryer tray. Add in five cups of water and put the dehydrating tray. Cover the dehydrating tray with parchment paper and spread the sticky rice on top and cover it with the pressure cooker lid. Push the steam button. Set the timer for twenty minutes. Quick release when done. Let the sticky rice cool down and prepare to wrap the sticky rice with the banana leaves.
Step three: Make the sauce . Put the sauce ingredients in a medium sized sauce pan. Let it simmer in low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Pout the sauce into the rice and mix. Let the sauce absorb into rice by letting them sit for one hour.
Step 4: Place the rice in the banana leaves and roll. Fold both ends of the banana leaves to seal. Arrange them into the dehydrating tray and steam for fifteen minutes.
For More Suman Recipe in The Skinny Pot blog:
For more Air Fryer Recipe on the blog
- Air Fryer Strawberry Scones
- Air Fryer Apple Pie Rolls
- Air Fryer Lumpia
- Instant Pot Gua Bao
- Instant Pot Oyster Sauce Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Pork Chashu
- Instant Pot Pearl Meatballs
- Instant Pot Steamed Pork and Shrimp Dumplings
- Instant Pot Char Siu
- Instant Pot Korean Cheese Katsu
- Instant Pot Steam Buns
- Instant Pot Chicken wings section
Instant Pot Suman
- 1 instant pot duo crisp plus air fryer
- 1 1/2 cup Glutinous Rice
- 5 cups water for steaming
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- Soak rice overnight to make it soft. Add in one cup of rice and five cups of water and let the rice soak overnight.
Steam the Sticky Rice
- Drain the rice using a strainer. Make sure that the water is drained by shaking the strainer in all directions.
- Set up the Instant Pot. Place the Air fryer basket in the inner pot and place the dehydrating tray, pour in five cups of water, and cover the tray with parchment paper. Place the soaked sticky rice and distribute it across the tray using your hand. Put the Pressure cooker lid on. Cover the Instant Pot with the pressure cooker lid and set on the steam button and set the timer for twenty minutes.
Prepare the Sauce
- Prepare the sauce: When the rice is almost done, place the sticky rice mixture sauce ingredients in a saucepan and cook all of the ingredients until simmering. Pour the mixture into the sticky rice and mix.Let the mixture sit for one hour or more for the rice to absorb the sauce.
Steam the Banana Leaf Wrapped Sticky Rice
- Let Suman cool and wrap with banana leaves. Arrange them into the dehydrating tray and steam for fifteen minutes. Please see the video on how to wrap the Suman.Please see the notes.
Shobelyn Dayrit says