Instant Pot Suman. Cooking Suman in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp is similar to the traditional Suman cooked in the steamer. The recipe is the same, but the cooking time is way quicker when it’s steamed in the Instant Pot – 20 minutes.
What is Suman
Suman is a Filipino snack made of sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves. Suman is often served on holidays and special occasions. This is sold on street stalls and restaurants in the Philippines.
What I love about this snack is, its capacity to fill you up easily. It is also very easy to make, that you can make this at home.
I want to emphasize each instant pot is different, and some settings may not be on the instant pot you got. In my case, I am using Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker with Air Fryer Lid, 8 Quart. This Instant pot doesn’t have the rice setting, so I am using the pressure cooker setting.
Instant Pot Suman Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare the Sticky rice-Soak the sticky rice with water and soak for an hour. Drain the water using a strainer. Shake the strainer to remove excess water.
Step two: Prepare the Instant Duo-Place the inner pot in and place the air fryer tray. Add in five cups of water and put the dehydrating tray. Spread the sticky rice on top and cover it with the pressure cooker lid. Set the timer for fifteen minutes.
Step three: Let the sticky rice cool down and prepare to wrap the sticky rice with the banana leaves.
Step 4: Steam in the Instant Pot- Prepare the Instant Pot by putting the inner pot on the stand. Add the water and place the air fryer tray and position the dehydrating tray. Cover with parchment paper and spread the rice on top. Cover the Instant Pot with the pressure cooker lid and set the steam button and set the timer to twenty minutes. Quick-release and transfer the rice into a bowl. Pour in the prepared sauce and let the rice absorb the sauce for one hour or two.
Step 5: Wrap and Steam – Wrap the sticky rice with banana leaves and arrange them in the Instant Pot and steam for fifteen minutes.
For More Suman Recipe in The Skinny Pot blog:
For more Air Fryer Recipe on the blog
- Air Fryer Strawberry Scones
- Air Fryer Apple Pie Rolls
- Air Fryer Lumpia
- Instant Pot Gua Bao
- Instant Pot Oyster Sauce Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Pork Chashu
- Instant Pot Pearl Meatballs
- Instant Pot Steamed Pork and Shrimp Dumplings
- Instant Pot Char Siu
- Instant Pot Korean Cheese Katsu
- Instant Pot Steam Buns
- Instant Pot Chicken wings section
Instant Pot Suman
- 1 instant pot duo crisp plus air fryer
- 1 cup Glutinous Rice
- 5 cups water for steaming
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown
- Soak rice overnight to make it soft. Add in one cup of rice and five cups of water and let the rice soak overnight.
Steam the Sticky Rice
- Drain the rice using a strainer. Make sure that the water is drained by shaking the strainer in all directions.
- Set up the Instant Pot. Place the Air fryer basket in the inner pot and place the dehydrating tray, pour in five cups of water, and cover the tray with parchment paper. Place the soaked sticky rice and distribute it across the tray using your hand. Put the Pressure cooker lid on. Cover the Instant Pot with the pressure cooker lid and set on the steam button and set the timer for twenty minutes.
Prepare the Sauce
- Prepare the sauce: When the rice is almost done, place the sticky rice mixture sauce ingredients in a saucepan and cook all of the ingredients until simmering. Pour the mixture into the sticky rice and mix.Let the mixture sit for one hour or more for the rice to absorb the sauce.
Steam the Banana Leaf Wrapped Sticky Rice
- Let Suman cool and wrap with banana leaves. Arrange them into the dehydrating tray and steam for fifteen minutes. Please see the video on how to wrap the Suman.Please see the notes.